My Favourite Fictional Bisexual Women

My Favourite Fictional Bisexual Women

I went to my local Pride parade/celebrations a couple of weekends ago, and it got me thinking about the characters in the media I look up to as a bisexual woman. In film and TV especially, bisexual women are often very negatively represented as being promiscuous (note; being promiscuous isn’t a problem, but the way it’s presented often is), selfish and usually cheat on their significant others. A lot. There’s also a lot of bisexual erasure on shows where characters forget that they’re bi when they enter a relationship, whether it’s with a man or a woman. If you’re like me, and you wish there was more positive representation for bi women in the media, I’ve made this handy list of my favourite bi characters that are guaranteed to make you smile.

Harley Quinn, DC Comics

Now, Harley isn’t always represented perfectly. She certainly isn’t treated perfectly in a lot of her stories (seriously, stop normalising the abuse of Harley Quinn ya bums!) but she is brilliantly bisexual, and easily one of my favourite characters ever. She’s clever, funny, and (sometimes) has a heart of gold. My favourite depiction of Harley is in the DC Bombshells series where she brings much needed humour and sass to the comics and also develops a super sweet relationship with Poison Ivy.

Delphine Cormier, Orphan Black

Orphan Black is one of my favourite shows in terms of diversity; it has a fantastic ensemble of cast including the incredibly talented Évelyne Brochu, who plays French scientist Delphine. Delphine is a motivated, very brave and loyal character, who is driven by her desire to protect the clones in the show most specifically her girlfriend Cosima. She’s also a total boss, and is one of the most powerful characters on the show, often shown to be capable and in charge of what goes on around her. Even though Orphan Black is ending very soon, I can’t help but hope for a Delphine spin-off series where we get to see her being a total badass.

Veronica Fisher, Shameless US

Shameless US is one of my all-time favourite shows; and it’s whacky and loveable cast definitely contribute towards this. Veronica isn’t one of the “main” characters on the show, but as a supporting character she definitely gets a great number of storylines (you could argue that there are two tiers of “main” characters in Shameless, with Kev & V being in the second tier!) She is fiesty, intelligent and above all one of the most considerate and caring characters on the show – she’s always willing to help out the Gallagher’s and is always their to support BOTH her partners, Svetlana and Kev. Although at first Veronica’s bisexual storyline seemed to be stereotypical (since she cheats on Kev), her relationship with Svetlana and Kev later becomes polygamous, which means double the representation for the LGBT+ community! I honestly adore V, and I can’t wait to see what the next season of Shameless has in store for her.

I could honestly rant and rave about bisexual character for days, including some that I simply cannot stand, but for now I’ll leave you with these three fabulous ladies! Who are some of your favourite LGBT+ characters? Leave me a comment and let me know!

Share:

14 Comments

1. rinalosingit
    August 16, 2017 / 2:25 am

I literally couldn’t love this post more!! And Veronica from shameless is features?!?! Yasss girl! Next to Mickey she is my fav! But like Gallavich for life 😂

• August 16, 2017 / 7:34 am

I’d say my fave character is probably Lip – but Mickey is fantastic too! ☺️

2. August 16, 2017 / 9:13 am

Looove this post! Yass for representation! And I love the photography too – really unique and amazing! 😘

• August 16, 2017 / 12:01 pm

Thanks Chloe ☺️☺️

3. Lizzie
    August 16, 2017 / 4:32 pm

My bi self absolutely LOVED this! Ahh!!

• August 16, 2017 / 5:16 pm

So glad you enjoyed it! I hope to do more posts on bi representation in the media before the end of the year hopefully! ☺️🏳️‍🌈

4. August 17, 2017 / 9:00 am

I’ll be honest I haven’t seen any of those shows so dont know the characters although my sister always talks about Delphine as she’s a big Orphan Black fan. I definitely think it’s important to portray Bisexuals correctly the media. Just because you’re bi doesn’t mean you’ll cheat?!
    Great post as always!
    PaleGirlRambling xo

• August 17, 2017 / 5:31 pm

I’m definitely not more likely to cheat just because I’m bi – I hate that the media always pushes that stereotype! You should definitely watch these shows – Orphan Black recently finished and all five seasons are available on Netflix! ☺️

5. August 17, 2017 / 7:44 pm

but i really enjoyed your post what i was meant to say!

Vicky

6. Kayleigh Zara
    August 19, 2017 / 12:37 am

I absolutely love the Harley queen and posion ivy relationship most people aren’t aware of it/ only see the Harley joker relationship and it’s so great to see someone who knows about it! I absolutely love orphan black too. Haven’t heard of the last character though x

Kayleigh Zara 🌿www.kayleighzaraa.com

7. August 21, 2017 / 11:37 am

I love Harley Quinn’s character – it is so eccentric and it’s great.
    Even more great to see a female in control of herself and her sexuality and one that kicks ass!

wispylashes.com

xo

8. August 27, 2017 / 10:08 am

I love this post so much omg! There’s like hardly any positive examples of bi character day out there and there needs to be so much more. V is such a great character and her relationship with kev and svetlana was so surprising but so great! And this has super motivated me to watch orphan black omg

• August 27, 2017 / 10:09 am

Thank you so much!! V is one of my faves, Shameless is so fantastically written! You definitely should watch Orphan Black, it’s so amazing!!! 💛